11.11.2009

Liquid Wasabi


I always enjoy a good cocktail. If I'm craving dessert and worked out really hard that day (or even if I didn't) then a lemon drop martini will do the trick. If I'm feeling like looking rich, I'll take a glass of cava mixed with St. Germain. Or, if I feel like getting the job done really quick or am about to hang out with a socially awkward guy for the first time by force, I'll take a Ciroc dirty martini (yes, Ciroc...I worked at The Park for almost two years). But there's never a time sitting at the bar that I'd actually reject the best drink by far that DC has to offer; the Liquid Wasabi.
Yes, it sounds pretty rancid from the onset; who really wants to drink a cocktail whose name resembles a fluid form of Japanese chili paste? But in actuality, the drink is a unique combination of unfiltered sake (Snow Beauty Nigori, to be specific), lime juice, habanero and simple syrup, with no wasabi in the recipe at all. The syrup lends itself to having a sweetness with the habanero giving the drink an unexpected punch at the end, similar to the kind that comes from a Fireball candy or a Hot Tamale. Plus, the ten dollar price tag gives it an elitist edge that makes you feel just a little bit special for sipping on one.
There's no other drink in the DC area quite like it, and very few things on the Leopard that I endorse, but  I could have an IV of this drink for the rest of my life and feel okay about it. That's why it is more than imperative that the rest of the city finds out how delicious this drink is- and you can make this happen by doing the following:

  1. Going into Sei Restaurant & Lounge at 444 7th Street NW, asking for one of the studly bartenders Marc or Diego, trying it for yourself, and then spreading the word to all of your friends OR
  2. Or, you can vote for the Liquid Wasabi on Metromix by clicking here: http://www.google.com/search?client=safari&rls=en&q=best+drink+dc+metromix&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8. Because honestly, how are those other boring drinks even a LITTLE bit competitive?
Who can deny enjoying a drink that's not even that sweet but still tastes like candy? Feel like a baller at Sei and enjoy a Liquid Wasabi. Or 3. Or 4.

No comments:

Post a Comment