11.29.2009

State





I'm surprised myself to know that I'm actually blogging about a Rhode Island hotspot. But as most of you know, I do live beyond the means that my waitress salary provides and have allowed myself to party in some of the hottest spots from LAX in Vegas to Super Paradise in Mykonos. Aside from sipping on Moscato (my favorite drink in the world) and trying my hardest not to say anything stupid in front of all of the self important people I'm usually surronded by, I also take a very critical eye in analyzing what it is, exactly, that the night club is trying to achieve. Are they trying to be a hip-hop mecca? A pedofile's dream as an underage hotspot? A pseudo-exclusive members only arena (which, in most cases, if you've heard of it you really only need a permission slip for entry- sorry, PX)? Or a Louis DeVitto fist-pumper's paradise right off of the New Jersey Turnpike? In my opinion, the best types of places to go out are those that aren't actually trying to achieve anything at all. And, with that, the most beautiful and fabulous will always be present.
I'm not saying that you need to skip Miami for your next party vacation and go to Providence, instead, but if you are by chance stuck in the Ocean State for whatever reason, leave the blow-out boys behind at the District Lounge and hit up one of Providence's finest new venues; State. Located on Throopy Alley right off South Main Street and behind Olives, I always feel like I've stepped into a small lounge on Las Ramblas in Barcelona (Okay, a huge exaggeration. But it's still adorable). Don't be prepared for any Sweet Caroline drunk wailing at the end of the night, however; State only plays house music from the Ministry of Sound in the UK, which also supports the lounge's Euro-flavor. With delicious Bellinis and French 50 cocktails, you can also enjoy affordable bottle service without getting agita over the bill at the end of it all. Even more, they feature a Champaign Campagne every Decemeber, a special party featuring a tasting of France's finest champagne with house music spun by DJ Dupe and Nick de Paris. With a relaxed feel in a hidden location, State is a lovely, top ten spot that I recommend to anyone coming through Lil Rhody. And, yes, you'll still see a couple blow-outs.








My friend Vanessa and I ran into the Prince of Providence, Buddy Cianci, at State!!!

1 comment: