2.11.2010

Rihanna Can Be Rude Whenever She Wants!!

Rihanna, I was definitely over you for a little while there. I'm not going to take it away from you; you're totally hot and never on my best day will I look as good as you do on your worst. But, come on girlfriend, you're done proving to the world that you're edgy. We've got it. The tattoos? The nipple rings? The neon orange jeans and bleached out fohawk? I promise I'll never confuse your style with Reese Witherspoon's. Now can we just wear a nice pair of designer jeans and Christian Louboutains and call a truce?
Yes, I defintely think Rihanna's edgey look is a little bit over done, but she's also a great performer with a well-sculpted body who isn't afraid to be different. More applaudingly, she nipped her domestic violence spiel with Chris Brown in the butt immediately and dealt with it under the public eye without undertaking any known drug addictions or Scientology-like religions in the process. So, for that, I commend Rihanna, and as a personal fan of reggae and dancehall, love the fact that she combines sugary Britney pop beats with dancehall tracks as tough as any of Beenie Man's. Would I jump to the record store to buy any of her cds? TRICK QUESTION: I don't buy cds, I'm a 2010 girl who relies solely on her iTouch. But if I were to go out and buy something to bump in my whip (translation=my sorority mobile AKA the white Jetta covered in snow and God knows what else right now at the BWI Long Term A parking lot), it would definitely be Rihanna's new single, Rude Boy. And it's not even because I'm crazy about the song; it's the music video that genre-bending, cartoony, and all around deliciousness for the eyes to watch.
Shot in cartoon clips, Rihanna's lifelike body is posed against Rasta-themed animation in the background, along with sequences of her banging on a drumset resembling one that would belong to the late Peter Tosh and grinding on an antique motorcycle. While all of this is happening, psycadelic colors reminiscent of Rasta-culture blast the screen and bring me right back to my college spring break in Negril. Really, it's not that deep so I'd rather stop explaining, but nevertheless probably the best music video I've seen in some time. Which is making the song grow on me a bit, too. And maybe that stupid tattoo Rihanna has on her left hand.

No comments:

Post a Comment