4.19.2010

MMMMMendocino Grill and Wine Bar

Looking for a Sex and the City-style dinner with girlfriends at a fabulous locale? Check out Mendocino Grille and Wine Bar in Georgetown, my newest find and obsession that gladly emptied my bank account this past Friday evening. Though you won't find cheap beverages here, the mood is intimate and classy, with a little over twenty tables, and hidden on M Street enough to give it a secretive and seductive flare. After stumbling upon it last week while leaving happy hour (yes, it's not just for plebes) at The Guards with a group, I was shocked to realize that I had never noticed this little piece of fabulosity that was a mere four blocks from my home. Looking over the menu and rudely gazing at the guests' entrees sitting closest to the window (they did NOT appreciate that), I roped two girlfriends into coming with me this past Friday night and had one of the best meals I have had in DC in months.
It's not your ostentatious and showy CityZen or Citronelle- not that there's anything wrong with these places, don't get me wrong; but you know those toolbags who throw around these names to look rich- and that's the best part about it. Around since the mid-nineties, Mendocino has relied on little marketing or publicity, but has maintained a consistent following because of its A+ cuisine. As an Italian restaurant with a California flare (hence 'Mendocino'), sip on insanely delicious wines while indulging on savory dishes. From the amazing cheese plates (we ordered a second), to the Arctic char, to the UNREAL rissotto that is officially my new DC guilty pleasure, Mendocino aroused my senses and took me out of DC for the two hours I was there, as it wasn't filled with "the network" that usually takes over the majority of the city's trendiest spots. Though we were too stuffed for dessert, the menu looked amazing, and will definitely be an indulgence on my next trip.
And even more interestingly enough, there was not a single negative review on Yelp.com to be found; a rarity with most DC restaurants. Bring your wallet, bring your appetite, and be sure to take a spinning class at WSC the next day, but it'll all be worth it; Mendecino is an A++.

Mendocino Grille and Wine Bar is located at 2917 M Street and is opened seven days a week for dinner. Reservations are strongly recommended due to the restaurant's small size, and can be made at (202).333.2912.

No comments:

Post a Comment