10.13.2010

Think Pink in DC this Month

A year and a half ago, my Whole Foods-eating, 5K-running, Ralph Lauren-wearing mother got the family together to tell us some crazy news:
"I'll be getting a tummy tuck and breast implants in three months".
I gave her a huge hug, smiled, and congratulated her in finally converting to my world of cosmetic alterations. But when she looked at my brother and I glassy-eyed, I knew that there was more to come. She explained that she was looking into a procedure to have fat removed from her stomach and moved to her breast cavities, since she had been diagnosed with DCIS breast cancer, a rare form of breast cancer that would force her to have both of her breasts removed. I cried, but stayed strong more my mom, because I knew that she would need me for the next year. And she did. It was tough; My dad and I tried to cheer her up, bought her sexy lingerie post-surgery to get her excited for the implants to come, and constantly made all of the "cancer-schmancer" jokes to make whatever light was left to be had of the situation. Though it was a crazy year and a half battle, and she dealt with several surgeries, I'm proud to say that all of the tears payed off- Joan Panichas-Milas is now a cancer survivor, and though she hates all of the "pink ribbon crap" as she puts it, I always remind her that the pink ribbon is there to comfort every tear that's shed for women everywhere who have been plagued by membership to the cancer club.
But there is hope, support, and wonderful stories of trial and tribulation that help breast cancer patients stay strong, and with October being breast cancer awareness month, there are some awesome ways in the District to get involved and help save the ta-ta's everywhere:

  • Participate in the Komen 5K Race for the Cure. You'll get exercise, an adorable pink boa, and bond with survivors, supporters, and so many powerful men and women affected by the disease.
  • Upload a photo of you in your favorite pink attire to 69-second.org, a site that donates to breast cancer for every picture uploaded
  • Check out the Zumbathon and Pink for Pilates at Vida Verizon Center on October 30th! For $25, take part in 2 hours worth of pilates or 2 hours of Zumba, all supporting awareness (while checking out some of the hottest gays at Vida, duh).
  • Join GoPinkDC for a line dancing and rowing event on October 23rd downtown. For a small donation, enjoy a day of fun events with these spunky survivors and supporters.  
  • Check out the Breastival at the American University Campus on October 17th. With great giveaways and excellent information on site, you'll want every festival to be a breastival from then on!
Know anyone dealing with breast cancer right now? Don't let them give up. If my mom made it through, anyone can, and by supporting these events, you'll providing a shoulder for people in these positions to lean on. So whether you dye your hair Kelly Osborne style or paint your toes Malibu Barbie style, thinking pink is totally in this month. 

No comments:

Post a Comment