12.20.2010

Fabulous Holidays

I grew up with a mom who loved Longchamp, Ralph Lauren, and Earth tones. And though I wouldn’t trade her for anything else in the world, definitely blossomed into a person of different tastes, preferences, and styles. This especially came into fruition every year during the holidays; I’d want the blinking colored lights, she’d want classy white ones. She’d insist on a real tree, but my allergies would always make me complain for a fake one. And, most memorably, she bought a Caucasian, light-up Santa Claus for our yard, and I asked why we couldn’t have bought a Black one (to match the Black light up Santa that my childhood best friend’s family had). But in the spirit of creativity – and not to mention now having my own place- I’ve been able to conceptualize and put together some of my Christmas fantasy designs that are completely fabulous and very leopard-esque. Wondering what these would consist of?

• A faux, white, 1950’s style cellophane Christmas tree. It looks very sexy and Miami-chic.
• A Mrs. Claus Leg’s Avenue costume to wear on Christmas Eve (regardless of the fact that it’s just a sexy Halloween costume for college girls).
• Silver baubles and wreaths a la Michael Scott’s “classy” Christmas party in the latest Christmas edition of The Office.
• Front yard lawn ornaments of reindeer and snowmen bedazzled in cold and silver sequins.
• Pink and gold Christmas lights on the front lawn like the ones I fell in love with at Christmastown in Williamsburg this past weekend.
• Plenty of eggnog, Jaegermeister, and other cinnamon-y cocktails to take you awasailing.There are also several Christmas trends of the now that should definitely be boycotted and downright scare me:
• Those blow-up Christmas displays people put on their front lawns. I love tacky things, but these are really pushing it.
• Those weird caroler statues that are all making their ‘O’ faces. Sorry but no.
• Mistletoes. I’m over it, I’ll make out on my own time and I always end up at a family Christmas party standing underneath one with my dad, brother, or someone TOTALLY non-ideal to be standing underneath a kissing plant with. Ewie.
So put up your white tree and find some hot pink lights. Just because it’s Christmas doesn’t mean you have to wear red and green. And be sure to avoid the mistletoe at family occasions.

No comments:

Post a Comment