10.03.2011

Paint Seattle & Vancouver Leopard

Okay, okay. I know what you're all thinking; how could there possibly be anything leopard-worthy in the city that's known for Deadliest Catch, Starbucks Coffee, and the entire 1990s grunge scene? And, for realz, Canada?! After visiting Seattle several times on business over the past year, I decided to return, only this time, treating my mom to a vaca using my Delta points (hello, Gold status?!), and managing to eat and drink my entire way through the Pacific Northwest. Sure, it's got some crunch to it (like, everything in every single restaurant is organic/preservative-free/green/who-gives-a-shit-you-freaking-hippie), which is the epitome of everything NOT Rhode Island (where my mother, and the silver shoes she wore the entire trip, still reside to this day), but both Seattle and Vancouver are truly gems of cities. And, no, you won't find any palm trees (this ain't FLAAARIDAAA, Rhode Island), but the picturesque views will have you breathless and the hospitality itself is a constant reminder that you're far, far away from the Northeast. And, believe it or not, I even saw just a little, teeny bit of animal print (it was inside a woman's parka, no less, but it still counts for something). Here are the definite Seattle and Vancouver 'go-to's that you MUST take part in when you finally make it out to the Pacific Northwest:

  • Go to the original Starbucks in Pike Place market:They don't sell bagels like of the rest of the franchises, which had me disappointed, but it's so funny to see a piece of history where so many of our caffeine addictions originated.
  • Have dinner at the Purple Cafe: This delicious spot features a tasting menu and wine flights, allowing you to try so many different things on the menu and without draining your checking account (or just bring your mother, like I did, and that won't even be an issue). Make sure to order the risotto; it's one of the best I've had!
  • Visit the Space Needle: A historic landmark, and one the highest point in the entire United States, the Space Needle has a restaurant at the top and tons of overlooks. 
  • Stay at The Edgewater!: I couldn't put a more important recommendation on this blog. I'm not into flannel, hardwood, or fireplaces, but this place is to DIE FOR! With floor to ceiling windows overlooking the entire Pacific, gorgeous rooms, and antler-horned chandeliers, this place combines Pacific Northwest charm with a touch of chic, all within the walls of a five-star hotel. 
  • Venture on Chuckanut Drive: Take the long route when driving to Vancouver and explore the redwoods and pines overlooking the Pacific. There's tons of gift shops along the way and delicious restaurants (The Oyster Bar was unbelievable, and fed me the best oysters I've ever had in my life), and truly gives you the Pacific Northwest experience. 
  • Shop Robson Street in Vancouver: I'm telling you, this city is that of the future. Robertson Boulevard who? Robson has everything and then some, from Louis to Hermes to Betsy to thrifty boutiques. This is truly a shopping mecca!
  • Eat at The Raincity Grille: This Vancouver spot has some of the most seamless service I've ever encountered in a single restaurant. The food is spectacular, too. Not so hungry? Give their "spoons" a try; At $5 a spoon, you can have a taste of one of their entrees without gorging yourself in the process. 
  • Take the gondola to Grouse Mountain: O-EM-GEE. This place is unbelievable. Just twenty minutes outside of Vancouver, take a gondola up one of the most beautiful mountains and prepare to be impressed. There, see totem poles, grizzly bears, and even a lumber jack show (which I participated in, duhh)! You'll definitely get into the Canadian spirit. 
The beautiful ride up Grouse Mountain in Vancouver, British Columbia.
The Pacific Northwest is truly a gem. Sure, my mother and I stuck out like sore thumbs the entire time, but we indulged in some delicious food, met some of the friendliest people, and stayed at one of the best hotels I've ever visited (Seriously, a trip to Seattle is necessary to see The Edgewater alone!). 

1 comment: