1.31.2010

Am I in an Episode of Jersey Shore? Nope, Just Another Day in Rhode Island...

Well, leopards, I'm back in Old Faithful for the week. Having to deal with a minor outpatient surgery this week, I figured I'd be much more comfortable being pampered and taken care of by my mother when I'm ready to wrip my face off as opposed to recovering alone in my apartment, with the only thing in my cupboards right now being Georgetown cupcakes, which don't really lend themselves to being a healthy snack for a sick person. After going to pre-surgery appointments all day for the past two days and going out every night, it's true that every trip to Rhode Island is always accompanied by some jollies and moments where I always say, "Oh my God, is this really happening?" to my surroundings. And for the record, I'm not making the guido jokes because of the Jersey Shore craze that has spun the country right now. If you recall, this blog started well before Pauly D and the Situation even hit the map, but sometimes when I'm in Rhode Island I do forget for a moment that I'm not actually on the show. Below are a truthful, unexaggerated list of my encounters thus far in my hometown, that definitely serve as a contrast to life in the nation's capital. Because you know you're in Rhode Island when:
  • You see a sixty year old man leaving the tanning salon in Ed Hardy gym clothes are so tight on his steroid-y body. And, go figure, he drives a Lincoln.
  • You get a reaction as if everyone's just met an alien when you tell them you're Greek and -oh my God, how could she not be?!- Italian.
  • You go to a nightclub that's deemed the newest hot spot, only to find that it's decorated with styrofoam colums and modeled after the Colluseum. Problem.
  • You get nervous because the anesthesiologist putting you out for surgery has a blow out. And is fifty years old.
  • Your best friend's father is sick as a dog but still has the energy somehow to cook a full dinner of zitti, broccoli rabbes, and potatoes.
  • You spend after hours at Cappriccio's, AKA your father's dinner hot spot, and drink Moscato until 3 a.m. And, might I add, continue to get mocked in the process for not being Italian.
  • You go to a bar in a shopping plaza that serves Chicken Marsala. What are the other facilities in the plaza, you might ask? GTL, baby... Gold's Gym, Spectrum Tanning, and the laundromat. Thank God for Smith Street.
Although I'll be knocked out for the next couple days, I'm sure there will be many more jollies to come upon my next week in the Ocean State. I wonder if I'll run into Pauly D?

No comments:

Post a Comment