1.14.2010

Time to MANGIA!!


Because it's DC Restaurant Week! As a gold mine (and recipe for mono) for servers and bartenders throughout the greater Washington, DC area, Restaurant Week offers Washingtonians the opportunity to culture themselves in great food and drink just a little bit more than they would usually be able to, mandating price fixed menus that don't break the bank. This year, from January 11th to the 17th, the Restaurant Association of Metropolitan Washington (whatever the hell that is) is offering lunch for $20.10 and dinner for $34.10, each with three courses and loads of options. For people like myself who enjoy living outside of their personal means, this is a great opportunity to indulge in a new place you've found intriguing in the past but apprehensive to foot the bill. And even though young professional yuppie gatherings like happy hour are practically against my religion (Front Page, anyone?), I'm too much of a foodie to let an opportunity like this be passed out. So while I'm busting my butt and work all week and explaining the difference between nigiri and sahimi a good thirty times an evening, check out one of these DC hot spots for an excellent meal and distinctive crowd. Because in DC, there's a restaurant for everyone; this is the Capital, obvi.


  • 701 Restaurant (701 Pennsylvania): Amazing, traditional cuisine, but used to remind me of the type of place I couldn't wear any outfit with cleavage inside because it was all Grandpas there. But with recent renovations and wonderful management who will take care of you, I am a huge advocate of this establishment.
  • District Chophouse (509 7th Street): These guys take great care of me here, and I'm sure will do the same for you. Ask for Medi, the manager, and he will see to it that you're treated like royalty (which you are). The salmon is delectable, the bartenders will make sure your drinks will leave you feeling good, and there's even a bunch of pool tables upstairs-what's better than that?!?!
  • Georgia Brown's (950 15th Street NW): Just because George W. always got take out from here doesn't mean you should totally write it off. With excellent southern soul food in a fine dining atmosphere, you'll be on the elipitcal for a good forty minutes the next day but it'll be damn worth it. And even better, I met Beyonce last time I dined here, and it was right after the Deja Vu video came out, so I didn't even feel guilty having a third helping of corn bread.
  • Kellari Taverna (1700 K Street): I actually haven't been yet, but this is a new fine-dining Greek restaurant that just opened a few months ago. Which is my heritage, so enough said.
  • Le Chat Noir (4907 Wisconsin Ave): One of my best friends in college, Lindsay Eisenkraft, had her birthday here, and although it's not so easy on the eyes my the looks of the building, actually has some of the most authentic French food I've had in DC. Just ignore its retardedly boring name (Like, really? The black cat?) and order the goat cheese and arugula salad.
  • Mie N Yu (3125 M Street): Probably one of my favorite restaurants in DC even though my dad overindulged with both food and spirits during my last visit here. This restaurant is modeled after the countries of the silk road, with each room representing a different stop on the trade route. Go for the tuna tartar and the AMAZING duck tacos in hoisin sauce. And make sure you tip the belly dancer (or get up and dance with her).
  • Napoleon Bistro (1847 Columbia Road NW): Go support my fabulous roommate, Christina, one of Napoleon's featured bartenders who can whip together a mean specialty cocktail. Enjoy amazing crepes and even better desserts, and after a few drinks, head downstairs for some raging to French pop music and house tracks.
  • Oya (777 9th Street NW): There's three things you must do at Oya: (1) Try the foie gras grilled cheese, (2) Flirt with Marc Eber, the hottest bartender, (3) Drink Winterwine, the most delicious wine you'll ever have which just happens to be from Rhode Island. Plus, the ambiance is so beautiful you'll leave wanting your entire house remodeled after it.
  • Rasika (633 D Street): After going to India for nearly a month, a stupid friend of mine took me out to dinner here the next day. And it's so good, that I actually didn't mind (probably because I had food poisoning for a week straight and was malnourished after drinking unpasturized milk). Make sure you say hi to Carrie, the adorable hostess, and do try the curried sea bass. 
  • Sushi Ko (2309 Wisconsin Ave): Not the best sushi in DC, but definitely in a close second (come on, I can't help but be biased). Be adventurous and go for the omakase- the chef selects everything for you for a set price- it's not on the restaurant week menu, but will give you a lot to talk about if you have a socially retarded date take you there.
Don't get indigestion or too drunk that you can't have fun, but have a good time. Enjoy DC's best dining establishments for less- don't let this week pass you by! As I tell myself probably every single night when I order something at work that's fried, sauteed or an all around heart attack waiting to happen, there's always such thing as starting the diet next week. 

No comments:

Post a Comment