1.05.2010

Marc Barnes: The King of DC



On New Year's Eve, my girlfriends and I ended up buying a table at Lotus Lounge on the corner of 14th and K. Developed by nightclub afficionado Michael Romeo, owner of Fur and Midtown as well, I partied the night away and instead of kissing any studs at midnight, embraced all of my girlfriends, which is so much more important, in my opinion. But after being there for two hours, my barely-there biceps got tired from fist-pumping, aside from the fact that I was three seconds away from hitting the girl next to me who couldn't hold herself up straight, and even worse, forget to wear her HankyPanky's. With an 'ehhh' crowd and house music playing on repeat that I obviously couldn't even sing along with, we all made the unanimous decision that we would go around the corner and spend the rest of the night rocking out at the hip-hop mecca (and my former place of employment), The Park at Fourteenth.
And were we glad we did.
With some of the District's hottest DJs always spinning, a gorgeous dark wood decor, and fabulous Chihuly blown glass chandeliers, I've had many great memories at The Park; I witnessed the election of the first Black president, worked with some of the most professional (and good-looking) employees in the hospitality industry, celebrated my college graduation with family and friends, and met every celebrity under the son from Chris Rock to LaBron James to my personal idol, Common. And as we all danced to "Dirt of Your Shoulders", by an artist I don't even need to name who has also been a guest of The Park, it was safe to say that The Park turned my New Year's Eve from an A- to an A+. But who is behind this nightlife masterpiece?
Say what you want about him, but DC-native Marc Barnes knows how to throw a party. He's a perfectionist, tough to work for, and will let you know if your new haircut came out bad or if your dress isn't so becoming (he's let me know). But he also establishes venues that will make you both proud to work for and socialize in with a level of professionalism and precision that no other developer in DC comes close to.
Usually seen in khakis, a Polo, and immaculately clean Nike kicks, Marc developed his career alongside fellow promoter and club owner Taz Wube, creating Republic Gardens, a DC club that was bumping in the nineties, and although no longer owned by Marc, still continues to host parties today. Upon completing Republic Gardens, Marc's resume kicked off; he began hosting NBA All-Star Weekend in Las Vegas every year, developed relationships with everyone from Russell Simmons to Diddy himself, and soon opened the go-to hip-hop venue in DC, Love Nightclub (This four story club holds close to four thousand people, and even offers lodging accommodations within the venue for out of town celebrity guests). Years later, he opened The Park at 14th, a restaurant and nightclub geared towards a more business professional crowd, with Southern-style soul food competitive to Georgia Brown's.
And now? With his own reality show Party Boyz on TV One and several other party deals on the way, possibilities for Marc Barnes are endless in DC and beyond. But I can let you know one thing; despite his roaring voice and sometimes intimidating exterior, Marc Barnes has forever changed and since defined nightlife in DC and beyond.

Check out The Park at 14th at 920 14th Street Wednesdays-Sunday for excellent food and even better partying.

1 comment: