7.28.2011

Make the Trip to King's Dominion

Summer's almost over, Washingtonians! If you haven't made the trip yet this summer, it's time to head down 395 and make your way to King's Dominion. As one of the biggest theme parks in the country, it hasn't succumbed to the pressure of being bought by Busch Gardens or Six Flags, instead, continuing to rock out with some of the most intense coasters I've ever been on. I'll admit it; Before my boyfriend told me that we were going, I challenged him, asking if he actually road the coasters, or if he'd chicken out by the time we got there. Well, karma bit me in the butt, because for the first time since I was probably nine years old, I got nervous and turned down a ride called- what else?- The Intimidator (which I later learned is the fifth highest roller coaster in the WORLD, in which my boyfriend is STILL paying for with nausea on the couch right now because of its crazy speeds). Nevertheless, it was a fabulous day, and naturally, I've compiled a list of dos & donts for your next trip to the theme park:


  • DO wear sunscreen. We don't want any melanoma souvenirs from the day.
  • DON'T sit in a ride seat that's not totally dry. We don't want any staff infections, and you shouldn't want the remains of someone's overactive bladder on your shorts for the rest of the day.
  • DO ride the Tornado roller coaster. It was my favorite ride of the day, minus the blast off at first which I wasn't expecting!
  • DON'T go on the 'Triple Spin' ride or anything similar. It looks cool from a far, yes, but you're not eight years old anymore and WILL pay for it by not being able to go on anything for the rest of the day.
  • DO enjoy a gourmet lollipop from the old fashioned candy shop at the entrance. They're delicious and they look cool, and just ask Sugar Factory; lollipops are the latest trend. 
  • DON'T go on the Anaconda. Literally I almost lost my lunch and it made me feel like I was having a brain aneurism because of all the jolting involved. 
  • DO remember where you parked. Or else you'll start a fight with whoever you went with and ruin the entire day. 
  • DON'T play the bottle toss game, shoot out game, etc. Do you really  need to win the six-foot-tall Sponge Bob Square Pants?
  • DO ride the Intimidator. Even though there have been reports that people black out on it because of the insane speeds, I'm kicking myself right now that I didn't bite the bullet and just go on it!
Even more excitingly, if you book your tickets online now through the end of August, you'll get a $20 discount with a dollar of your ticket price going directly to the Susan G. Komen Foundation for breast cancer, a cause that's near and dear to my heart (shout out, Mom). Definitely hit up King's Dominion before the summer's over.

2 comments:

  1. Angela, sounds like you had so much fun! I remember that a LONG time ago, King's Dominion was smurf themed! Come out to Vegas again for more than a day and we can take you to a few different roller coasters :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I remember when I was kid going oh don't challenge your boyfriend to anything he'll alway prove you wrong he's just that way !!

    ReplyDelete