5.17.2010

Cafe La Ruche

Have you ever had one of those days where you're getting a little bit Hannibal and just really need a good steak? That happened to me last week; I was yelled at by authority figures, had to pay for a boot to be removed from my car, and realized that I was now a size large in bathing suit bottoms. Knowing that the only thing that would make my life even slightly better at that moment was a good meal, I rallied my two closest girlfriends and made them accompany me to a spot in my neighborhood that I've always wanted to try.
Cafe La Ruche embodies the caf'-conc spirit. It has little to no marketing, live music on weekends, and an adorable outdoor patio area all in its tiny alley way facility on 31st. Known in English as "Beehive Cafe", I def wasn't stung by anything here except for bangin' wine and the most excellent piece of steak I've had served entrecote style outside of France. Having been situated in the same spot since the early nineties (which might as well be a century in DC restaurant years), the menu showcases French favorites in a casual, bistro setting. With a phenomenal soupe de l'onion and an array of pates, you can enjoy French food with their no-BS, what you see is what you get-type menu.
Have a plebe salary like I do? Don't be scared away by the slightly expensive prices; Cafe La Ruche offers an early bird special (which grosses me out to promote, but times are tough), with a choice of appetizer, any entre, and dessert for $16.95. They also have a delicious brunch (with mimosas included, of course) for $15.95 featuring their tres delicieuse house made pastries (I've had two in one sitting. Sad.). The best part? I was able to wear sweatpants and my Pocahontas boots for the entire meal and not feel ashamed. Sometimes casual is a good thing; Just don't let anyone see you. And so is an amazing steak.

No comments:

Post a Comment