5.23.2010

Sushi Rock

I am extremely particular when it comes to sushi. I worked at a sushi restaurant for over a year, studied the science of the cuisine, know how to make a few rolls myself, and gorge myself with it whenever I'm given the opportunity. Usually, these so-called "fushion" sushi spots roll into DC, stay popular for six months, and then die out slowly after once people realize that the Chibouli chandeliers decorating the restaurant are actually better than the sushi itself (aside from SEI, of course). That's why I was extremely skeptical last weekend when my good friend invited me to go check out Sushi Rock with him, a new, hip eatery in Clarendon owned by the same people who own Public Bar. That night, I even made the executive decision to have a salad before hand, fearing that the menu would be comprised of overly-creative rolls and poor quality ikura.
Well, I was once again mistaken. Aside from the silly rock star memorabilia that decorates the restaurant (which is definitely a little bit tacky, but quite fun at the same time), Sushi Rock far exceeded my expectations with great services, flavors, and maki creations. With each roll named after a rock band, delicious flavors combining both sweet and spice will definitely satisfy you, along with several cooked rolls available for the sushi skeptic. There are also several amazing appetizers, as well, including gourmet tater tots, ahi tuna tartar, and probably one of the best miso soups I've had in a long time. The Bowie, which was a delicious farm raised salmon with kobocha potato puree, is an entree that will definitely be a repear for me upon my next trip. With a great saki menu to compliment its eclectic cuisine, you'll be sure to have an extremely positive experience.
Yelp.com members commended Sushi Rock by saying that there's finally some LA in DC. Well, I think Sushi Rock is going to give LA a run for its money with its incredible menu and will slowly become a hotspot over the Key Bridge. With its official grand opening on May 26th, Sushi Rock will have you asking, "Buddha Bar who?"

No comments:

Post a Comment