5.01.2010

Malcolm X: End of an Era

Someone once asked me who I would want to go out to dinner with if I could be invite three guests, dead or alive, of my choosing. Without flinching for a second, I knew; Lady Gaga, Queen Noor of Jordan, and Malcolm X. Though I don't really know what kind of conversations would be had at this dinner (Lady Gaga's latest head dress? Middle Eastern politics? Black panther rallying?), I do know that it would be particularly interesting and passionate, because of the presence of one very notable guest; Malcolm Little, later known as Malcolm X.
One of today's top CNN stories showcased that one of the gentlemen involved in his assassination, Tom Hagan, was recently released from jail. The other two killers are yet to be determined, but speculated to be from his radical Islam religion.
It's pretty weird that I have such a fascination with Malcolm X, because I'm pretty much everything he hates about white people in a human body; I relax my hair every three months because I hate it curly, I watch reality tv shows religiously, I love flashy designer handbags, and sometimes talk with an affect in my voice that I'm sure he would find less than desirable. I even remember in his autobiography (and movie, for those of you who don't know how to read) that a white girl went up to him, saying she was so happy to meet him in person, and he brushed her off feeling that she would never understand the struggle that his race went through.
But Malcolm X was IMPERFECT. He was a HUMAN. He dabbled with drugs, was prejudiced towards others, and had an imperfect marriage. But he admitted his wrong doings towards the end of his life and knew that people had the power to change, and for that, I find him more admirable than so many world leaders.
If you haven't seen it yet, rent Malcolm X. Not only will you see Denzel Washington in sexy Raybans, but learn about the life of a world leader who is truly no bullshit, regardless if you're black, white, or anything in between.

No comments:

Post a Comment