5.10.2010

Leopards in London

To all of my Leopards: I do apologize for my lack in posts as of late, but have most recently jet setted to London for a weekend of fabulousness alongside my cousin. Obsessed with Paris and not much of a fan of the Johnathan Rhys Meyers-esque wormy guys who fill up the majority of the UK, I was nervous at first that the trip would simply be a Europeanized version of any US city and be a complete waste of money. WAS I WRONG! The moment I landed in Heathrow, I was greeted by friendliness, cleanliness, and OMYGAWD-no cigarette smoke! My adoration for London continued from that point forward, as I saw the sights, ate, drank, and partied with the finest of Britain. And that's no bollicks.
Below are my recommendations for London travel. Though I am writing to you from the Heathrow airport due to my delayed flight back to the District (of course, Iceland's volcanic ash is still an issue), I will try my best to recall the most amazing spots and sights of Londontown:
  • Eat Indian food: At Bridge Lane or any of the areas around here. There are so many Indian restaurants that are so authentic (minus the smog and unpasturized milk in India, of course), with each one having a host outside begging you to test their restaurant's fair. Not only did my cousin and I eat for £5 each, but also got a free bottle of Pinot Grigio! What's better than that?
  • See the Tower of London: Imagine if you had the potential to be decapitated for flirting with another guy. At the Tower of London, you'll learn that this was a reality during Medieval times, while hearing romantic yet grotesque stories about Anne Boylin, Henry VII, and so much more. Let's be honest, it made me think twice about wanting to be a queen.
  • Enjoy a true British pub: But stay away from the usually AWFUL bar food (this isn't Italy or Greece...the Brits have other gifts). If you're a Moscato girl like me, go for a cider, which is basically like an apple juice mixed with beer. If you're lucky like my cousin and I were, prepare yourself for a lockin- the bartenders do this at the end of their shifts and keep in the pub's favorite (I mean favourite) guests for free drinking.
  • Go to the British Museum of Art: And have many OMG moments. From the Rosetta Stone to several Da Vinci pieces, you're a total doofus if you don't recognize anything. Plus, you'll also get to see the corpse of Cleopatra (wrapped in mummy gear, of course).
  • Eat at Pingpong!: If you like the one in DC, you'll LOVE the one in London, with over double the items on the menu and the same trendy atmosphere. Only I got really ugly with the waitress because they had no tapioca balls for my bubble tea.
  • See the Ballet: The British Opera House is abosolutely beautiful, and you'll get to see some excellent performances in an old fashioned setting. The  best part? They have two half hour admissions, perfect for some wine in between acts. No wonder I got a little sleepy during the final act.
  • Party at Mahiki: The adorable Hawaiin-themed bar near Paddington. Try to finagle your way out of the ridicoulas £15 cover, but even if you can't, the inside is so much fun. Pay £12 to spin the 'fortune wheel', and receive anything from a drink to Mahiki's famous 'treasure chest' (£200 worth of insane cocktails). But be wary of language schizophrenia- this place was so international I was mixing French, Greek, and German all night- and I don't even know German. Danke.
  • Spend the day in Oxford: You'll feel so amazing being surrounded by so many smarty-pants', and will even get to see Harry Potter's dining hall (Or the one that they used for the movie, at least). Learn about the ghosts of Christ Church and enjoy tea at The Grand Cafe. It's a perfect escape from London and is super cute.
  • Go for tea at Kennsington Palace: As the home of Prince Harry and William, take your chances at getting lucky and becoming a royal by having tea daily in their Orangerie, open to the public. I have the most amazing fromage crumpett ever, and pretended I was a rich royal person for just a hot sec.

Whether you love Posh and Becks or Gwen and Gavin, party with Britain's finest Leopard-style next time you make it over The Pond. You won't be disappointed.

No comments:

Post a Comment