11.24.2010

Hello Kitty is STILL Hot!

On Monday night after work, my friend Cathy and I decided to indulge in some Korean barbeque after a long day of stress (not that I need anymore heavy meals before Thanksgiving on Thursday). While Honeypig was amazing as usual, it wasn’t until after our meal that she took me to the most adorable giftshop in Annandale- Little Thingamajigs, a girly store next to a Korean bakery featuring some of the most amazing Hello Kitty accessories I’ve seen under one roof. Let’s me honest; I’m neither nine years old or Kimora Lee Simmons, and definitely feel a little bit stupid at times indulging in my Hello Kitty obsession. But after the Rhode Island heiress Lauren Broccoli dubbed Sanrio’s sexy cat as chic, I felt inclined to buy everything I could at this store. After emptying my wallet on a lunchbox, key ring, tweezers, and stickers all tattooed by the cat’s presence, I decided I needed to know a little bit more about this defining cat of American and Asian pop culture. After much digging, there’s more substance to this kitty than you think; not only does she have an actual name, but is apparently good at baking cookies, as well (I can’t believe I’m actually articulating this). Here are some go-to fun facts about Hello Kitty to use the next time you’re trying to appear knowledgeable:


• Name: Kitty White
• Birthday: November 1, 1974
• Blood type: A
• Place of birth: Sanrio, Japan
• Height: That of five apples
• Weight: That of three apples
• Good at: Baking cookies
• Favorite food: Apple pie made by Mama (mum)
• Favorite word: "Friendship"
• Collects: Small cute things like sweets, stars, goldfish etc.
• Best school subjects: English, music and visual arts
• Description: A bright and kind-hearted girl, good at baking cookies and loves Mama's apple pie. Very close to her twin sister Mimmy.

Since 1974, Hello Kitty has been an icon celebrated by women of all ages around the world. She’s adorable, fun, and has even been transformed into expensive jewelry pieces and video games. Celebrate your inner child and do NOT be embarrassed to love Hello Kitty. And if I hear one more person tell me that they don’t understand what the big deal is, than obviously their height is not that of five apples.

1 comment: