11.27.2011

Cava Mezze...Because us Greeks do it Better!

Yes, I did it. I left the District. I moved over the bridge into- gasp!- Alexandria, Virginia. And while I've always been one to never leave my beloved Northwest corridor when it came to going out for dinner, my new status as a Virginian has forced me to be more open minded when it has come to trying the restaurants in Arlington and Alexandria. The past week, I decided to take a stab at Cava Mezze, a Greek locale in Clarendon that I've heard mixed reviews on and was slightly apprehensive to try initially. My advice? DON'T BELIEVE ANYTHING NEGATIVE YOU HEAR. This place truly gives Zaytinya a run for its money, and has Greek food that channels my very own Yiayia's culinary masterpieces that I grew up with. Make a reservation, because, I don't know about the Rockville location, but the Arlington one is definitely going to book up early, but if you don't, no stress; the bar area is adorable and has some great mixologists present. Furthermore, the sultry hardwood-on-hardwood atmosphere and dim lighting makes this place perfect if you're looking to have a romantical night out, but the tapas-style menu also makes it totally appropriate if you're just looking for a fun night out with girlfriends (which is what I did). Menu items that you can't miss? Saganaki (or "cheese on fire", as my non-Greeks call it), Avgolemono (a delicious chicken, lemon, and basil soup that is perfect for a cold winter evening) and the Lollipop Chicken, with a honey-Faia sauce that is truly out of this world. Better still, the prices aren't ridiculous, and won't break the bank should you choose to check it out. So bring your inner opa! and an appetite, and check out Cava Mezze on Clarendon Boulevard in Arlington, because, yes, there are good restaurants over the bridge, too.

1 comment: