10.12.2009

"God Bless America & God Bless the Gays!"


Despite living in Washington, DC, I'm not as politically active in comparison to everyone around me. Of course, I'm definitely a Democrat and have my strong opinions about issues, but get grossed out most of the time at the rowdy activists who get pit stains over screaming for something or another that's not going to change and just making them look stupid. And, of course, as an SIS student at American University, I was on demonstration overdrive, as there were always groups of hipsters marching for some uber-liberal cause that made me feel like my opinions were more in line with my Papou's (translation: Grandfather in Greek, who you can catch on any given weekend at the Army Navy Club on 17th). But one issue that I've always seemed to have strong opinions on is the equality of gays, lesbians, bisexuals, and transgendered individuals (can't forget anyone in there).
Being raised as a child by parents who taught me to not even really recognize a differentiation between gay and straight sexual preferences (which despite all of my parent's craziness, am quite happy for), continue to be bummed out that this is even something that is an issue (REALLY!??! There's people out there who can't be married?!?!?!). It boggles my mind. But, yesterday, alongside close to 150,000 other gay and straight all in rainbow Mardi Gras beads much like myself after I harassed a man for his and paid him for them, I decided to join others on the National Mall during the March for Equality. As one of the colorful demonstrations that I've ever seen in the area, the mood was happy rather then distressed, and protesters were peaceful instead of rowdy. The event was very family-oriented, with children walking along with their same-sex parents in support of equality. Protesters held various signs, of course, ranging from "I Love my Mommies" to "I came for the lesbians, but marched for their rights" to "If Khloe Kardashian can get married, then why can't I?". 
This was the fifth major gay rights march in DC since 2000 and was graced by many celebrities including Demi Moore, Christian Siriano (who my friend Reagan was lucky enough to meet in Barneys a couple days ago), and of course, Gaga herself. Hopefully, Obama will be sure to repeal the "Don't Ask, Don't Tell" policy so that homosexuals may be open about their sexual orientation when enlisting in the military, which was one of his campaign promises that has yet to be addressed. 
Aside from the March itself being a success, some of the most attractive gay men were brought to DC this weekend that I've ever seen. I didn't even want to go to Town Lounge last night with my friend Brian because I knew how many dreams of mine would be shattered from the second I walked through the door. However, I was able to wait on a plethora of gorgeous gay men at work last night, who all gave me fabulous tips and sweet dreams last night...
For more information about what you can do to support Equality for all, visit www.equalityinamerica.org. 
xo,
Angela 

No comments:

Post a Comment