10.31.2009

Velvet Lounge


I've always had this huge fascination with the hipster scene. The funky Ray Bans, the boxy-cut tops, the neon and the scarves; Even though I would never wear half of it, I feel like I've always had this alter-ego who wants to trade in my Volkswagon for a used Saab or Volvo. Unfortunately, I like shiny things, hoop earrings and cleavage way too much to convert myself over to a more Urban Outfitter look, but I'll always have one of those mornings where I wake up and put on a graphic t-shirt, bomber jacket, and leggings. Even though I'll probably never give up my obsession with night clubs, house music, and Louis Vuitton (not that I can afford it, but if I was Kimora Lee Simmons, I'd probably buy everything monogrammed in LV's, too), I recently decided that it was time to diversify my nightlife experiences to venues beyond Lima and Fly. Accompanied by two of my most fabulous and attractive friends, I blew off my normal Wednesday night routine of harassing every Persian man at Lima I could find and instead ventured to U Street with Reagan and Guil for a night of fun that would also satisfy my necessary hipster craving for the night.
After going to Nellys, which was cute (but not really me), we headed across the street to a little bar with Coke-bottle lightening and some of the most artistically dressed people I have seen in a while (no, I'm not talking about Commander Salamander or Urban Outfitter ensembles; these people were rocking classy vintage and pret-a-porter-no-name-necessary looks). Although I walked in wearing five inch heels and diamond studded-hoop earrings, I was immediately greeted by a friendly bar staff and Killers songs set to house tracks. This place reminded me of a small lounge in the Marais of Paris; velvet seating to match its namesake and alcohol pours in every drink that were competitive in comparison to its U Street neighbors. What was best about this place is that it was simple, inexpensive, adorable, and had no disgusting men approaching my friends and eye.
Ignore the poor reviews on Yelp.com; the reviewers obviously have no idea what they're talking about and are jealous of Velvet's organic feel. Instead, go for yourself and enjoy funk music, local bands, and $5 rail drinks before you decide to formulate a negative opinion. For all of the political junkies out there, Velvet serves as an excellent venue for showcasing different grass-root liberal organizations throughout the city (translation: lots of hipsters). They're very open to hosting new organizations and local DC businesses that align with what they stand for. Skip the club and try something different next weekend.
The only downside? Get a tetanus shot before you use the bathroom, or risk getting a public urination citation on U Street. I had to breath through my mouth the entire time I used their ladies' room and it was anything but pleasant. I guess that's what you get with $5.00 drinks. And personally, I'd take a $5.00 drink and risk holding it and winding up with a UTI any day.

No comments:

Post a Comment