10.20.2009

The Sky's the Limit at Fly Lounge


There are very few nightlife outlets in DC that are consistently okay. They either become monochromatic in population (white, black, Persian, Korean, you name it), have an amazing grand opener with very little promising to follow (and so much talk that you feel like Bungalow 8 opened in the District...and Bungalow isn't even cool anymore), or are the setting of a Wale music video causing the wrong crowd of teeny-boppers with fake IDs to tramp all over the place turning it into a pedophile's dream. Despite my disappointment with DC venues, I always know that if I have a friend from Rhode Island in town (or any friend from out of town for that matter, but they're usually from the 401), I can always take them to Fly (1802 Jefferson Place) to ensure that their night out will be a crazy one. 
Operated by DC aficionado Piero S. (no need for a last name with this guy, trust me), the club has minimal capacity once you are confirmed fabulous enough to be let in (translation: a friend of Jamie, Ezra, or Matt's) and models itself as the inside of a Boeing 30-737, fully equipped with windows showing the clouds on TV monitors and stewardesses so sexy that you thought you were on the Hooters airline. If you tend to fly first class, Fly's got the hook up for you with pristine bottle service and your own personal stewardess to be at your service for the evening. 
Apart from the beautiful decor, Fly features some of the most versatile DJs in the District with music that will keep you "oh-my-God-I-love-this-song"-ing all night long. With DJ Dirty Handz and DJ Vik playing the perfect blend of house, Euro, and hip-hop, you can check out Fly any night of the week for a guaranteed good time. 
Aside from anything else, Fly hosted my sorority every Thursday night during my college years and even gave me the hook up to meeting Sean Paul and the cast of the Real World DC (even though I was entirely unimpressed with them, although one of the guys was pretty cute). The intimate club feel (the capacity in 250) is very hard to come by in DC and haven't really experienced anything much like it since my time in Paris. Fly doesn't try to be anything it's not, but most importantly, has always made sure that every girl there gets enough Patron in her system to ensure a perfect night of partying. 
Fly is open seven nights a week and located at 1802 Jefferson Place right off of Connecticut Ave. Want to feel at home during your next ski trip? I recently learned that the owners also have a Fly in Aspen, Colorado, modeled exactly like its DC sister location. If only I could close my eyes and bring over Matt Sklar and Piero. S. too.
<3, 
Angela

No comments:

Post a Comment