12.21.2009

Wanna See an Alien Sex Scene?


When I think of sci-fi, I think of the following; People who go to internet cafes, Magic cards (remember those?), and Dwight Schrute from The Office. Although funny, none of these three things have anything to do with how I define myself nor are the slightest bit attractive. So, when I was dragged into seeing James Cameron's latest flick, Avatar, I was slightly apprehensive. I've never liked sci-fi, first off, and have really bad blepharitis in both of my eyes so figured that the 3D glasses would end up just giving me a headache by the end of the two hours and forty five minute computer geek's orgasm-on-film type of movie. I hate to say it, but I was very wrong; Avatar entertained, kept me at the edge of my seat, and had a deep, underlying liberalism message that had my Republican man shaking in his seat (even though he would never admit it).
Taking place on a planet known as Pandora, which encompasses water, trees, and creatures that resemble humans to an extent (only are blue, nine feet tall, and have tails...so I guess don't really resemble humans), scientists, businessmen, and military officials set out to the planet to tame the creatures and uncover valuable natural resources. Without giving too much away- because it's just THAT creative and I don't want to spoil it for anyone- the movie gains a political undertone immediately that showcases the continuous struggle between environmentalism and capitalism (which they did such a good job with, that even the girl right here who wears leather and eats steak managed to shed a tear) on this new planet.
Having been documented as the most expensive movie to have ever been made, Cameron creates an entire indigenous species of people, animals, and even developed a language for the Na'vi race (AKA the aliens) with a linguistc professor from USC over a ten year period. (In other words, the fact that Cameron dedicated ten years of his life to merely entertainment should be reason enough to go out and spend $10 on a ticket, let's be honest.) With half of the cast being animated through computer generated forms, the movie is complex, interesting, and will keep you on the edge of your seat.
My only issues with the film? The 3D did give me a headache by the end, in which I felt like I was the one in an avatar, and-SPOILER ALERT!- the sex scene between the two aliens made me queasy and had me asking myself many questions for the rest of the movie (even though some of their parts were human, were all of their parts human?). I guess everyone-or thing-needs a little bit of loving sometimes.
All and all, Avatar was a great flick and probably one of the best movies I've ever seen. Next to Clueless, that is.

1 comment:

  1. Why can't I check off goober under reactions lol DONT ACT LIKE YOU WERE DRAGGED THERE AND DONT ACT LIKE YOU WERE APPREHENSIVE! YOU WERE PUMPED ABOUT AVATAR BEFORE I WAS POSERRRRRRR....GOOMBAH....BLIMPY

    ReplyDelete