12.28.2009

Balls Dropping



If you're anything like me and my girlfriends, the ten dollar question of the moment is what (and who) you'll be doing to ring in the new century. With the Mayan calendar giving us only two more years after this one, it's more than necessary that it's celebrated with a bang with only the most fabulous (jokes). Though difficult in Rhode Island at times, finding New Years Eve plans shouldn't be the slightest bit difficult for a District girl, but with many of the hottest parties already sold out (with strict fire code laws that I can't even finagle eight extra tickets if I tried...this is the Capital, people) some people are even stooping low enough to buy tables at UltraBar; which I want to clarify, I don't mean in a snobby way, but would prefer not to spend my New Year's Eve at the same place I spent every fraternity mixer at in college, in which I ended up having to deal with the heartache of finding a guy who I thought was really cute at the beginning but always ended up puking in a plastic bag by midnight because his brothers made him chug an entire handle of God-knows-what at the pre-game. JUST SAYING. With this being said, the clock is ticking at it's extremely important that everyone solidifies their plans within the next day or two, because I don't know about you, but I'd really prefer to not be at Clyde's when the ball drops.
Promoters will be pulling you in eight million directions, claiming that they have the "official" event for Washington, DC that evening, but please ignore the hoopla; you'll only be paying double and triple for a place that you normally stumble into at the end of your night for free. Still unsure of my personal New Year's Eve plans, aside from the fact that I will be at work for the majority of the evening (and that two of Rhode Island's finest will be making their way to DC for the night), I've compiled a list of some leopard-approved parties that could definitely be rewarding:


  • National Building Museum ($80): With open bar from 9 to 1 am, this is probably the most coveted party that I was too stupid to buy tickets for in advanced. So let's move on since it's sold out and I don't want to think about what I'll be missing. 
  • 9:30 Club & Hotel Helix ($282 for two, overnight package): Looking for somewhere hipster and different that you can wear that vintage sequin number from Annie's Cream Cheese? Featuring Sharon Jones and the Dap Kings, this jazz-ska band will be the perfect treat. The 9:30 Club can get a little bit B.O.-ish however, so just be careful. 
  • Love Nightclub ($40): Ring in 2010 at the original Marc Barnes club with Drake and TreySongz hosting. It should be a good time if you're into the hiphop scene, but as Barnes himself has said, "Love ain't for everyone".
  • Grand Hyatt ($169): If you can't bump and grind, this might be a safer party for you, featuring Third Eye Blind. The Grand Hyatt usually throws a banger for NYE, but Third Eye Blind? More like Third Eye Blahhh. 
  • The Willard ($265): For all of the rich bitches out there who want to party with DC's finest, this is the party for you. Enjoy white-gloved service of hors d'oeuvres and cocktails along with different themed rooms. For nearly the cost of my monthly car payment. 
  • Lima ($40 general adm, $1000 for a table): I know it's a DC nightlife staple, but the club supposedly throws a great NYE party. I just don't know how down I am to pay $40 to a club that normally charges no cover. Thoughts?
  • The W Hotel ($125): Amazing location, beautiful people, and very attractive staffing...however, there's no open bar included in the price. Then again, you can always just make some friends there and create your own "open bar". Which I don't encourage, of course. 
There you have it; in my opinion, the best New Years Eve parties that the District is offering this year. However, I'm always willing to admit my faults, and as my first NYE that I will be in the District, please leave any additional comments you may have on good parties or venues. And for those of you staying in Rhode Island for New Years Eve, it's a one stop shop; Monet Lounge, because who's better than DJ Vibe and Bobby Furtado?

1 comment:

  1. Ang,
    No one wants to go to clubs on New Years Eve because they're grimy, impersonal, and classless. Frankly, anyone with any sort of class would rather spend their night with family and friends, while enjoying good convo, booze, and laughs. But who am I to talk; you live in a fantasy world where you think your group of friends is untouchable and important (whatever that means) to whatever extent. Oh yeah, just how many clowns have to had sex/stuck your tongue down in the 5 years we've dated? Gross.
    -MFIII

    ReplyDelete