12.17.2009

Jersey Shore is BADA BING!




And I'm not just saying that because one of the show's biggest characatures, Pauly D, is from Johnston, RI (for those of you who don't know of this American gem, the hair spray is always out of stock at the local CVS and for those of you who didn't think baby Ed Hardy exits, think again). When I first moved to DC five years ago, I remember looking around American University's unattractive campus and thinking, "What's missing here?" After living in DC, I realized the status quo that I'd developed my entire life was entirely false and a breed of its own; the majority of dads didn't smoke cigars and moms didn't drop their 'R's every time they spoke, nor did any of my new girlfriends have rings or necklaces with their names in cursive written through them. The Jersey Shore confirms that the majority of America, and the rest of the world, for that matter, looks into this little world that I lived in my whole life through a magnifying glass for entertainment and comic relief. And you know what? I'm damn proud of it!
 This show is comical, killer, and all around A+ television that shouldn't be missed by any reality show afficionados. Bringing together eight self-professed guidos from New Jersey, New York, and Rhode Island, the guys are juiced up and the girls rock hoops, poofs, and some deadly extensions that I would never endorse even in my most guido state possible. The show captures the summer of these eight college-aged Italian Americans living in a beach house in Seaside Heights, New Jersey for three months. You'll get your fair share of bar brawls, too hot for TV sex moments, and, of course, a multitude of clips of the studs getting muscled up at the gym. More importantly, you'll have some new beauty standards to strive for after you see these girls in their deep Mystic tans and two-toned ripped jeans (BIG J to the K right there...but it's still fun to watch). But after watching so many reality shows with idiots that I have nothing in common with, why not waste my time watching idiots who at least exhibit a little bit of familiarity?
Haven't seen Jersey Shore yet? Get on YouTube right now and watch Jenni (of course she ends her name in an 'i') "Snooki"get punched in the face after drunkenly yelling expletives to a high school gym teacher at a bar. Or, Google all of the Italian American organizations trying to sue MTV right now for creating a show that's "defamatory" towards the Italian heritage (deal with it). Despite being just another white trash reality show, it seems like everyone has something to say about Jersey Shore. And it doesn't hurt that I love watching Ronnie's twelve pack on television every Thursday night.

1 comment: