12.15.2009

Pingpong, Anyone?




Rather than eating lunch on break at Sushi-Go-Round in the Verizon Center on 7th Street as usual, my friends Sarah and Justin and I decided to be a little bit more innovative this afternoon and try one of DC's newest supposed "hot spots". I am very apprehensive when the Washingtonian, Glitterazzi, or whatever in between dubs a new DC locale as "trendy and sexy"; translation, it's usually either Eurotrash guys prowling on girls, using it as the pregame spot before their night at Ultrabar, or a thirty-something-Bluetooth-wearing-I'm-too-important-for-you crowd. When I heard that Pingpong's first opening in the United States would be brought to DC, I was excited but unsure how the Washingtonians would take it. Of course, anyone who's anyone thinks tapas platters are "just fabulous" and the coolest thing in the world (even though have of these idiots don't even know that Europeans have been eating this way for over a century), so we were all pretty sure that small plates would be appealing to the young professional crowd regardless of the format. But dimsum plates?! This might be a little too Eastern-minded for the Capitol Hill folk. Regardless, its international motto describing its cuisine as "steamed little parcels of deliciousness" is entirely and one-hundred percent true even within its newest franchise on 7th street that has only been opened officially for four days.
With a gorgeous black-on-black set up, open floor plan, and hipster-cool lounge music playing on repeat,  I felt like I was in a futuristic Chinese tea house. Taking on a thousand year old tradition, each entree ranges from $4 to $8, with three items in each. With fabulous cocktails that don't skimp on the booze (always important) and excellent non-alcoholic choices when you know the sangria will put you out when it's time to go back to work, Pingpong is fast, fun, and trendy. Even better, it is white-girl friendly; unlike most of my other Asian hotspots, I didn't have to chug a glass of milk with a hand full of Tums afterwards to prevent the heartburn that MSG and Siracha-infused dishes often give me (yet I continue eating, because they're that good). Plus, the social and relaxed atmosphere caters perfectly to the awkward first date spot; if he's a total doofus, you can just talk about all of the action going around you in the restaurant to save yourself from the awkward silences.
The good? With everything being numbered on the menu, make sure you indulge in #37 Traditional Sticky Rice Parcel, #57 Chicken Puff Pastries, and the ultimate, #209 Pork Buns, which will be the most delicious Asian pork buns you'll ever have in your mouth. For a huge, multiple course meal under $30 in a chic atmosphere, I'll definitely be back frequently.
The bad? If I'm looking a little thunder thigh-ish (I've already eaten there twice this week), you'll know why.

Visit Ping Pong at 900 7th Street, opened seven days a week and available for private events. 

1 comment: