3.08.2010

The 2010 Academy Awards


There is, in fact, a God; adorable Sandra Bullock won best actress and Precious didn't win best picture. I sat on my couch for three hours and sacrificed an evening at Gazuza to live vicariously through the countless celebrities on my television wearing gowns worth more than my annual income (Penelope Cruz, anyone?) But while I snacked on my wasabi peas and analyzed all of the gowns with every single gay man I know via text message, I realized, though the Oscars usually deem perfection, there was definitely some good, some bad, and some ugly. And while I like to think of my blog as sort of a "safe zone" from Perez-like dissing and will stay away from identifying 'the ugly', here's my quick recap on what was good and what was, otherwise, mediocre and sometimes painful.

The Good

  • Oprah's beautiful homage to Precious star, Gabourey Sidibe, moving all of the actresses in the Best Actress category to tears. Though I don't think that the movie is Academy Award-worthy, I do give props to Sidibe for keeping it real and taking on brutal Hollywood with such a controversial debut role.
  • Steve Carrell harassing the emcees during the red carpet preshow. Gotta love that Michael Scott.
  • Sandra Bullock's incredible humility in accepting her award, and even better, Meryll Streep's sportsmanship in congratulating someone who is not half as good an actress.
  • The excellent tribute to horror films in which I literally screamed and woke up people in my house when they showed the girl from The Ring (I will admit, I had to sleep with my mom for five nights after that traumatizing movie).
  • Seeing meanie director James Cameron loose. Karma's a bitch.
  • Witnessing the first female ever to win the Director of the Year Oscar. I'm not really one for girl power, but Kathryn Bigelow didn't even direct some frothy relationship movie. Instead, she conquered the Best Film title with The Hurt Locker, a military film that touched many (except for me because I don't really care). Congrats, Katie!
  • Barbara Walters saying the champagne was cheap after tosting with Sandra Bullock. 
  • Jennifer Lopez's amazing gown that made me want to stop snacking immediately. I have a date with Washington Sports Club tomorrow morning.
The Bad
  • Picturing the jungle underneath Mo'Nique's gown after reading in an Entertainment Weekly article that she refuses to shave her legs. Eek. 
  • George Clooney giving the stink eye to Alec Baldwin and Steve Martin during their opening improv act on stage. Loose the attitude, buddy.
  • Miley Cyrus, who isn't even really an actress, effing up all of her lines when presenting an award when all she had to do was follow the script on the teleprompter.
  • Including Michael Jackson in the In Requiem montage. Whether you think he was a saint or a child molester, the fact is, his one role in The Wiz doesn't make him an actor. Commemorate his legacy elsewhere.
  • The sparkly blazer that the opening emcee wore at the beginning of the show. If you were watching, you know what I'm talking about; Save it for this year's parade.
What were your thoughts on this year's Academy Awards? What cocktail waitress will George Clooney show up with next year? And when will Quentin Tarantino start acting normal? See you in 2011...

No comments:

Post a Comment