3.23.2010

Paint the Office Leopard

I never thought the day would come in which I would retire the Dansko's and moleskin notebook for my daily 86 list. But, with luck, persistence, and many interviews, I was lucky enough to start my first day in marketing at a DC-based Fortune 500 company. After spending three hours the night before picking out the perfect outfit (only to realize that pumps and stockings were totally unnecessary in my business casual arena) and stressing about how on Earth I'll decorate my little cubicle, my anxieties were lifted as I was greeted by friendly colleagues, managers, and associates. While it will still take a while of adjusting to get used to office life (Why do we have to use waterbottles instead of Dixie Cups? Why Microsoft Outlook instead of Gmail?), I can't help but hum the Dunder Mifflin theme song as I go up the elevator to my space each day. And because The Office is my only frame of reference to any office work, I can't help but find some unique similarities among the company in which I now work and our beloved Dunder Mifflin:

  • We both have philanthropic organizations: Though not very similar, at all. Because who else besides Michael Scott could organize a Rabies Fun Run For the Cure, complete with LiveStrong bracelets and a check made out to 'Science'?
  • We both have recently gone 'green' by using complimentary office mugs: Except the ones given by Sabre at Dunder Mifflin are made from aluminum, and give off a disgusting after taste of metal.
  • We do have conference meetings: Except our managers don't use them to have an hour talking about nonsense, nor do they have coworkers dance to keep other coworkers in labor feeling more at ease.
  • We are both festive during the holidays: But don't go overboard. Moroccan-themed Christmas? Mexican-themed fiesta for the Hispanic employee, complete with pinatas? Phyllis Vance dressed up as Santa? No, a simple cake or candy cane will do just fine at my new office, thank you.
  • We work in sales: But don't talk about pregnancy issues, health problems, or other issues that would manifest sympathy to seal the deal with a sale.
  • We bring our lunch to work: But stay away from bringing in roadkill to be eaten later, a la Dwight Schrute and his Christmas goose.
  • We all went to good schools: But does it come up in every other sentence spoken out of our mouths? Sorry, Andy Bernard; It's time to heavily limit Cornell in your vocabulary.
  • We support each other: But would never all show up hospital bedside of an employee hit by a car if one of our other employees hit them in the first place. Definitely wasn't one of Michael Scott's most smoothest of moves, but definitely an amazing season opener.
  • We encourage healthy lifestyles: By offering discounted gym memberships and healthy snacks to one another. We don't, however, spray junk food with DEET for fear that our colleagues will get too fat, nor do we make the whole office stand on a giant scale at the end of every work day.
  • We embrace our diversity: But don't play diversity "games" in which we stick ethnic slurs written on post-its on each others' heads and try to act out what the ethnicity is. 
In the tough economy, I feel truly blessed and happy that I've received a job in a field that I could see myself working in long term. And while I won't reveal the company itself, I can't help but constantly compare it to the company that I secretly wish existed; Dunder Mifflin.

1 comment:

  1. Very nice opening vignette... but it makes me wonder how you managed to spell "pomegranate" wrong.

    ReplyDelete