3.28.2010

Pop your Cherry Blossom...

Yes, I too get very irritated by the Mid-Western tourist taking pictures of every single blossom on the trees by the National Mall, wearing the most rancid fanny-packs I've ever seen in my life and walking so slowly that I want to run them over in hostility. My hair not being prepared for the humidity and needing a much needed Keratin relaxer, along with seeing the couples in those paddle boats (honestly, what is so romantic about seeing your significant other in one of those disgusting rap around life preservers?) also makes me want to vom. But once I get over all of that, I'm so ready for the 2010 Cherry Blossom Festival. And you should be too.
As a former Cherry Blossom Princess, I spent the entire week going to every little event and go-see for the festival, and have first hand experience about the good and the ugly. Though you commoners won't have the opportunity to meet the Japanese Ambassador like I did (probably the only celebrity I met during the week, so please, let me have my bragging rights), embracing your Washington heritage, experience the spring showers, and if you haven't been to a Cherry Blossom Festival yet, get ready to pop your cherry blossom, because the first time's always the best...

  • Check out the dance troups, musicians, and poets performing throughout the afternoons on the public stage on 15th and Independence this week. I saw everything from Living States to Japanese bell ringers during my reign as Princess.
  • The Latern Lighting at the Tidal Basin, though a little bit Grandma-like, is something to see if your in the mood. On April 4th at 2:30, be a part of history as the American National Society of States commemorates our continued respect and peace efforts with Japan. Arigato.
  • FIREWORKSSSS!!!! It doesn't have to be Fourth of July for a little bit of an explosion in the sky. Enjoy them at 7th and Maine SW, eat a hot dog, and pretend it's summer.
  • If you haven't been to the US Botanical Gardens, this is your opportunity. On March 31st from 6:30 to 8:30, see an array of Japanese fauna, including Samurai Orchids, while you tour the botanical gardens. It smells so good in there and you feel like you're in the Amazon. So worth it. 
  • The Cherry Blossom Parade: Although I played hookie when asked to march in the rain as this when I was princess, the parade in a free event with awesome floats, snacks, and those little guys in the crazy hats who drive around in little cars. If it's nice out on April 10th, be sure to hit up Constitution Ave. by 10 am to get a prime view.
Work on that Japanese, hit up some events, and be sure to give the evil eye to any tourist walking too slowly. Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment