3.19.2010

Funxion

I love going to places in DC that make me feel like I'm in Europe. As a waitress, I don't often have the funding to jet set to Mykonos whenever I have the desire, so instead, I'm forced to enter La La Land whenever I'm in certain DC establishments and pretend that I'm in Ibiza instead of sweating next to an eighteen year old GW girl in Eyebar. The new, delicious "juice bar with booze" on 1390 F street takes me back to fond memories of studying abroad in Paris in an effortless way. Funxion, which opened two weeks back, was immediately dubbed an "industry" hot spot, which probably kept me from making an appearance at first (no, I don't necessarily want to see every single person I ever worked with in DC nightlife at the same second). But after my roommate, Christina, hyped it up to me big time, I went in with low expectations and figured I'd give it a try. AND WOW! Serving adorable pisco sours with fresh fruit and delicious cucumber cocktails, Funxion attempts to put a healthy twist on getting drunk. Not looking to drink? Don't get nervous, because Funxion also functions (haha) as a restaurant, serving amazing pizza, burgers, and smoothies that all pride themselves in being low in preservatives. But if you ARE looking for a nighttime spot, Funxion is the perfect mixture of lounge chillness and high mileage Euro-trash. With the mod, multi-colored walls, narrow interior, and DJ booth over looking the crowd, it is clear that the owner, Sed Haddad, is definitely making a huge effort to stand out. And he's succeeding;    From the smallest detailing of the automatic utilities in the restrooms to the violinist featured alongside the house music DJ, there's sure to be something for everyone at this new venue. And, you'll be able to drink a cocktail and get you're servings of vegetables at the same time.

Visit Funxion at 1309 F Street, open all nights of the week.

1 comment: