1.21.2011

Me Gusta Calle 13

Everyone who knows me knows that I pretend to speak Spanish. And because of that, have had a huge affixtion with Latin music ever since my Greek-Mexican cousins introduced me to Selena in the fourth grade (who I will add, still is considered to be one of my musical idols). But despite my steadfast love for Aventura, Wisin Y Yandel, Marc Anthony, and a total hodge-podge of other Latino and Reggaetone artists both old and new, have definitely felt that the Latin music scene has been stagnent in its sound. Well, the alternative-Reggaeton-infused boriqua duo, dubbed Calle 13 after the street they grew up on in the barios of San Juan, Puerto Rico, totally proved me wrong.
Everyone who knows me also knows that I don't discover music until about three years after something was dubbed as cool. And while Calle 13 has been around for some time now, my Pandora hasn't left their station, so it wouldn't be fair to not include them in my Paint the Town Leopard Madness. With reggaeton-infused beats that are as fun to dance to but also good for a work out, their lyrics are supposedly as dirty as any Eminem song, but witty and poetic enough that they're given a pass by Puerto Rican parents. And with a lead singer as good looking (minus his nose ring) as Residente (AKA Rene Perez, because that's obviously not his real name), you can't help but like this group. Infusing salsa, reggaeton, cumbia, and even a little bit of Trinidadian congo rhythms, Calle 13 does an incredible job in showing the fact that you can still be a Reggaeton artist without the chains, facial tattoos, and "pimpin-ain't-easy-esque" lyrics.
Check out Atrevete-te-te or Un Beso de Desayuno. I've been playing them multiple times a day for the past two weeks and will probably hate both of the songs a week from now. Regardless, the music is fun, the lyrics are funny, and their good looks with definitely make you caliente.

No comments:

Post a Comment