1.06.2011

Why does every DC adolescent pretend they're Wale?

I currently live about four blocks away from Chinatown and absolutely love my neighborhood. Would I walk to the Metro at 1 am? Not necessarily. But aside from its sometimes urban-esque atmosphere, love the cultural offerings of the neighborhood, have great neighbors, and totally embrace the fact that I had my first Halloween in years that I could actually pass out candy to trick-or-treaters. But while I thoroughly respect DC-bred rapper Wale (or Olubowale Victor Akintimehin, if you're referring to him by his Nigerian roots), don't understand why every single sixteen year old boy trying to holler at me when I'm just trying to go get my eyebrows down tries to dress like him. He's made "dc chillin" Facebook status-worthy lingo and has made DMV an abbreviation that stands now for more than just the place that you go to get your driver's license, but come on boys! Literally every single sixteen year old male in my neighboorhood now sports long dreadlocks, ball caps, skinny jeans, and a hipster (ew) inspired graphic tee with some other neon accessories. They can also normally be found sitting on the steps of the National Portrait Gallery, looking for cuties and thinking that they have chances with girls who are nearly double their ages.

Now, I'm sure most of them are good kids and are just having fun embracing Wale's getup. And who am I to judge? When I was fourteen, I think that I thought I was Gwen Stefani for a year, Manic Panic pink hair dye, bindis and all (my Catholic high school wasn't pleased). But, on the flipside, no one else was rocking the look at the time, nor was I wearing jeans so tight that you could see the outline of my private parts (yes, some of these boys now do it... in a ten year time frame we've gone from the off-the-butt gangster look to "nutthuggers", so to speak). I'm just saying, while Wale definitely reps DC and have some good songs that I rock out to in my sorority-esque white Jetta, these boys need to get a new long- and stop wearing jeans that are so tight and yelling at me when I'm leaving Vida Verizon Center!

No comments:

Post a Comment