1.05.2011

Will the Real Slim Shady Please Stand Up?

Rapist. Druggie. Bigot. If you listen to the lyrics of Marhall Mathers, also known as Eminem, Slim Shady, or whatever else he goes by, you could argue the fact that there are few humans closer to pure evil than this guy. He truly skeeved me out when he first hit the mainstream scene ten years ago- the bleach blonde hair, the "wigger" clothes, the nasally voice- I thought this guy was a total punk with a terrible wardrobe and a horrible anger problem. His lyrics covered everything from raping his mother to killing his pregnant wife, and his tactless music videos with blow-up dolls and sex toys did very little to redeem his dignity, either. For years, my DJ brother would argue with me about how talented this guy was, but I just kept writing him off. How on Earth could I even consider someone like this a talented lyricist when he talked like this?

But then, I saw him perform "Stan" with Elton John at the Grammys, a performance that was given during a time that many members of the gay community had come out in labeling him homophobic. I still wasn't sold, but it definitely made me think. And then, he started making fun of himself, doing satirical skits in everything from award show commercials to Funny People with Adam Sandler, poking fun at his anger problem and not selling out for anyone. It wasn't until about a month ago that I saw him in an Anderson Cooper interview that I really stopped and thought about his message.

Articulate, sitting in a plain T-shirt and glasses, and rarely smiling, Em described how he was moved from place to place as a kid, didn't have time to make friends, but took a keen interest in his English classes- because of this, he'd spend more time memorizing the dictionary and creating rhymes rather than spending time on the streets and getting in trouble with friends. Even more, after seeing his drug addict mother and his absentee father fight, rather than turning to addiction or violence to vent about his situation, began writing. He'd use syllables and rhymes and pretend to play the roles of different characters that would be considered outrageous to some- while many others in similar situations were taking out their anger by using drugs, beating their girlfriends, and becoming all around self-destructive.

Now, I'm not saying that Eminem's lyrics are always positive, nor do I believe that his music should be placed in the hands of just anyone (my mom gave my brother an Eminem cd in his Easter Basket when he was nine...not her best parenting move to say the least). But, after hearing this interview, have definitely developed a new admiration for Eminem. Having had so much pent up anger for years, he didn't vye for other forms of self-destruction to deal with his emotions. Instead, he did something thought provoking, interesting, and creative, spilling his guts and anger into lyrics that still have people "oh-my-gawd-ing" over their outrageousness even years later. Anyone creative and intelligent in their own right should be respected, and even though the song where he rapes his mom still grosses me out, it has to make you wonder what character he's playing. Marshall Mathers? Eminem? Slim Shady? If you're still not sold, watch the interview for yourself and then decide.... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CCbtvBEPPs8

No comments:

Post a Comment