9.03.2009

If Cupcakes were Paintings: Quest Skinner Paints DC



I found one thing more beautiful than leopard print; the art of Quest Skinner.



Not to sound like a complete doofus, but I've never really been one for art before. Of course, I took the mandatory art credits needed in high school to graduate (I'll never forget the beautiful sculpture I made of Spiderwoman for the Bay View Academy Art Fair in 8th grade and everyone, including my mother, thought it looked like a purple and red hotdog...just a side note) and can tell the difference between a Monet and a Manet. But, sorry, I would much rather splurge on a Balenciaga bag than a painting that I don't even understand its premise. It's like looking at a Rorscach ink blot; most people see a butterfly and I see Michael Jackson's face (scary). Just an example to show you what I have the tendency to get out of things.


It wasn't until one Sunday afternoon that I was strolling through South East's lovely Eastern Market with my good friend Christina that I saw something absolutely orgasmic for my eyes. Unlike all of the other painters I saw throughout the market that day, this one tent was filled with glossy, colorful, and glittery glass canvases filled with fantasy subjects that resembled Barbie dolls on acid (Michael Kors uses this reference too in an episode of Project Runway, FYI). These paintings were girly, elaborate, screamed emotion, and were entirely embelished and bezalled with either glitter, golden flakes, or other unique additives. They looked like all little pieces of candy and I wanted to eat all of them (typical). After approaching the tent and getting a warm hello and hug upon meeting Her Highness, it was at that moment that I wished I was independently wealthy and could buy everything Quest Skinner had designed (Actually, let's be honest, not the first time I've had that wish). After making Christina want to kill me after being indecisive about my purchase, I went with a gorgeous glittery purple print of a curvy lady with blue skin and a haircut that resembled mine at the time. And, as a first time buyer, I got the decently sized masterpiece for a mere $120 (Half price and a deal that Quest gives to all first time buyers FYI)! Now, my house is bezzaled with five of her beautiful pieces, despite the feelings of my male roommates and the explanations they have to give when they bring females home.

Seeing my first Quest Skinner was like trying my first Georgetown cupcake. It aroused my senses and played with my inner child. The same way I don't care about calorie count when I bite into a Georgetown cupcake is the same way I feel when I buy a Quest Skinner no matter how outrageous or impractical my purchase may have been. And, if there was a painting I would ever want to have for dessert, it would be a Quest Skinner, obvi.




Born in Pittsburgh, PA but considering herself a true Washingtonienne, Quest Skinner has painted various murals around DC and is a featured artist in the DC Commission of the Arts & Humanities. You can find her on Saturdays and Sundays at Eastern Market (7th St & North Carolina Ave SE) and is also featured at various Artomatic showings (55 M Street SE, Booth 509). Quest is truly an artist who can rope people into falling in love with art who don't even like art to begin with. Check her out online at www.myspace.com/questskinner.






See you at Eastern Market this Sunday,


Angela =)




1 comment: