9.17.2009

What's French and Gay and Skinny all over?


First, it was Gwen Stefani. Then, it was Lady Gaga. Now, my musical obsession of the moment has shifted gears to the French singing sensation constantly doted on by Perez Hilton. Known as Sliimy by the world of entertainment, Yanis Sahraoui started recording music in high school with there not being all that much to do in his Saint-Etienne suburb of Lyons. Always having a knack for vocal ability and self-expression but also being shy and introverted at the same time, Sliimy (pronounced "slim-y", not slimy) found music to be the ultimate means of emotional release. Despite being French, he prides himself on his interest in Anglo culture and only sings in English for that very reason (or, let's be honest, for the fact that he'll probably sell a lot more records. Who is he kidding?), donning himself on stage in plaids, bow ties, golfer shoes, and other London-esque accessories. Skinny, unassuming, and speaking in interviews with an adorable French accent, Sliimy reminds me of someone I would love to have as a best friend. Plus, he's inspired me to open up my French workbooks again after not being able to understand anything in his interviews despite my years and years of studying his native tongue. 
His debut album, "Paint Your Face", which was released this week resembles something that they would play inside an Urban Outfitters, which would normally irritate me, but after listening to the CD one time through makes me want to shed my lip liner and Ed Hardy and embrace the hipster look. His pop-funk sound is original, relaxing, and as the title suggests, colorful. Most importantly, though, it's not overly deep and all-around happy. I definitely respect poets and musicians, but sometimes don't really want to think when I listen to music and Sliimy entertains me without having to use too many brain cells. Plus, his music videos are adorable and remind me of something out of Reading Rainbow or Mr. Roger's Neighborhood (Check YouTube for "Wake Up", a clay-mation inspired piece that you can't help but smiling when watching). 
Despite being a voice minor in college myself, Sliimy's music proves the fact that you don't need voice lessons to be a talented singer. His asexual tonal quality reminds me of the likes of Prince during the "Purple Rain" era. "My God" conjures sultry Amy Winehouse-esque guitar rifts, while "Trust Me" actually makes emo music seem the slightest bit acceptable. Even hotter, Sliimy performs an impressive cover of Britney's "Womanizer" that will be sure not to disappoint.  
With flu season and the September slump getting to the best of everyone lately, I promise Sliimy will leave you smiling, or at least with some good make out music the next time you have that special someone over.
Love,
Angela

No comments:

Post a Comment