9.21.2009

Indebleu got a Makeover: Stir Lounge


I am extremely critical when it comes to DC nightlife. After working as a hostess, guestlist girl, and bottle girl throughout my college years, I have developed a snobbery towards every club I enter in DC and beyond (and for those of you who need a short-term, part time job and AREN'T socially awkward, I highly recommend the nightclub industry; just don't blow every paycheck on a new Gucci bag or trendy L.A.M.B. stuff that you end up consigning like I did). That's why, whenever a new club opens in the area, I'm very apprehensive. I remember when Muse in Chinatown opened up last January, and was told that it was going to be "a New-York style guest list policy with bottle service minimums starting at $800". Apparently, I must have had a different concept of what this was after seeing the crowd inside while dancing underneath a light presentation that looked like something I bought from Spencer's Gifts in middle school (Not that I'm the greatest class act or anything; I did just take out the weave in my hair that I had been sporting all weekend). The fact of the matter is, I have continued to stick to my oldies but goodies, seeing as it has been a long time since I've been actually impressed with anything new in DC night entertainment.
The first time that I went to Stir a week after its grand opening, I was irritated. I hated all of the messy stamps they made me and my girlfriends wear in order to get in, and ordered a $14 drink at the bar that I mistook for a $3 bottle of OceanSpray Cranberry Juice seeing as I couldn't have tasted a hint of vodka in it. After managing to be groped and catcalled even though I had came from work and looked far from my best, I asked myself, Where did my beloved Indebleu go?
Well, after bad talking Stir for the past six months, I decided to go back last night when some friends of mine decided to get bottle service there. And, yes, I do feel guilty now. The chic white-on-white layout had me thinking I was in Miami for a hot sec (not quite, but it does look great), and the small size caters to an intimate, Euro feel that gives off the charm of any boutique club on the Champs D'Elysees. The bottle girl was friendly and helpful, the DJ played the perfect balance of house, old skool hip-hop, and top 40 tracks, but most importantly, the crowd was one of the best I've seen at any DC club in a while. Not to be superficial (but it's a nightclub, come on people! If you don't want superficial, go hang out in a Dunkin' Donuts), but the classy, good-looking, and diverse group of individuals would make any mannered individual comfortable despite their ethnicity. What I liked most about Stir is that it was not a Persian or Black or White party, but was the perfect integration of classy, hot people ready for some partying. 
My only complaint? The chubby man standing on the banquet spraying smoke at the crowd like it was a fire extinguisher (If we were in Rhode Island, it probably would have been a fire extinguisher). I have seen smoke machines going off during the climax of house tracks before, but really?! You need someone to actually spray it? I don't know... But that's minute in compared to the great time I had. 
(And, because I'm post-mono, didn't even drink and STILL had this great time there!)
XO-
Angela
ALSO: Please follow my blog. I know that a lot of you read this because I've heard and need you to join! Just click the follow button on your right.

1 comment: