9.01.2009

So sue me...

As the emo idiots of the world would say, I'm a *poser*. Yes, a poser. I saw Julie/Julia earlier this afternoon and was inspired to document my thoughts electronically. I mean, let's be honest; if a dorky and socially fawkward (translation= effing awkward) government employee can get people listen to her on a blog because she needs to cook fattening recipes to define purpose in her life and revitalize marriage than I think I sure as hell can do the same. Only if it were me in her shoes, I'd probably get so bulbous (translation=super chubby and unattractive) that my husband wouldn't like me anymore and my friends wouldn't want to be seen with my frumpiness.

But with that being said, WELCOME! Haha, all jokes aside, this is not going to become some sort of fluke because of a movie I've seen. I've wanted to do this for a long time and the film gave me that extra nudge. I've been quite active in DC the last five years, not only as a college student, but as an employee in hospitality and event planning, and an attendee of many hospitable venues and events, as well. And because I can never turn down an invitation to anything whether it be a gala (not that those happen super frequently, in my dreams) or a night at Fly with all of my Turks (a regular occurance), I wound up with mono which gave me the opportunity to start this up because of all of the downtime. So now, in my zebra print hoodie and hardtail sweatpants, I start the continuing story of how I continue to paint the town (DC, in this case) leopard.

Why leopard, you ask? I come from Providence, Rhode Island where leopard is not a print, but a color and moms resemble the likes of the Real Housewives of New Jersey. I grew up going to Italian/Portuguese feasts every summer and thinking that it was normal for men to wear more jewelry then I did. As little girls our parents plopped big bows in our hair and as soon as we could talk we'd ask to get our ears pierced, if we hadn't had them already three weeks after birth (I was four years old). Going to a salon my entire life that spelled charisma 'Karizzma' (but did a great job, nevertheless) and being driven around in carpools with parents blasting Dean Martin or Andrea Bocelli, I thought my environment thrived in normalcy until I arrived in DC in August of 2005.

After settling in and looking around, I realized something was missing. It was very much like home, but there was something missing; where were the tough guys with blow outs? Why weren't any girls wearing acrylics (Don't know what I'm referring to? Exactly...) But most importantly, where did my beloved leopard print go?

I became a Delta Gamma and was surronded by girls who were by majority not North Easterners and had a slight identity crisis. It probably started when the pledge moms bought us all matching anchor belts from Vineyard Vines... EW!?! Or maybe it was when we had the croquet themed mixer. Or when all of the girls were comparing what they had most recently ordered from the Tibi spring collection...VOM!! These were great girls, but I just felt out of place in DC. I was covering up my accent, wearing more muted colors, and straightening my hair that was a wild lion's mane at the time.

And then, I don't know what hit me. The guido- which, let me add, was a term that many DC residents teased me with, and must have never been north of the Mason/Dixon line before if they thought I fell into this category- was a term that I began to embrace. I put my hoop earings and fake eyelashes back on and gallavanted on K street with my girlfriends one Friday night and showed DC what I was truly made of.

Now, back to why I started this blog... I'm not an egotistical person, and frankly, I doubt too many people other then my good friends will go on this. But even more frankly, I think I have insightful opinions and I think I can be entertaining!!! In the city of staunch lobbysts, fashion being Ann Taylor sample sales, and all of my neighbors in Georgetown who think that I'm too loud, I have decided to paint the town leopard, giving DC a taste of my spunk (that sounds really bad, looking back hahaha!) and recording my experiences in doing so.

Much love to everyone and enjoy reading <3,
Angela =)

1 comment:

  1. "[G]iving DC a taste of [your] spunk." Is that a new career for you? I think people would possibly pay for that.

    Next post should be on the sublime joy of Lily Pulitzer.

    ReplyDelete