9.26.2009

The Real World is Getting Too Real for My Liking


I was always a huge Real World fan. I remember the first season I followed, Real World Hawaii, where Ruthie was the crazy drunk and Colin was hot frat boy and Amaya had perfect boobs that I wish I had while at that time I was stuck halfway through puberty dealing with these two pointy small things on my chest. They lived in a beautiful mansion near the beach with an Infinity Pool and Cribs-worthy interior decorating, while making me laugh and cry (Yes, pretty sad, I have been known to cry while watching reality television. Like when Flav chose Deelishis over New York, I almost needed a Xanax) during their monologues inside of the trendsetting confessionals. They took a gorgeous trip to Fiji, worked an easy job that was so insignificant no one remembers what it was, and drank and smoke every night in the company of other beautiful people. While I was in the sixth grade dealing with acne and petty fights with my girlfriends over who copied whose Polo Sport Bag amongst other things, watching the Real World Hawaii kind of allowed me to live vicariously through the lives of these beautiful people who seemed to have not a care in the world. Best of all, there wasn't all that much that was actually real about it. 
Clearly, my interests have changed since the sixth grade, and haven't really been keeping up with the seasons the past couple years (Like the time I went out with Randy from the San Diego season this summer and didn't even know he was on the show until the end of the night, which I immediately made sure that I made up for the lost time of ball busting that would have happened had I known), but still appreciate it as the original reality show. I even tried out for it at one point, sending a video in and all, only be responded by Bunim & Murray that while they couldn't see me as a candidate for the Real World, had another show in mind that I'd be great for (Bad Girls Club. Needless to say, I did not follow through with the casting and am clueless as to why they saw this as "a better fit"). When I found out last year that the Real World: DC would be starting soon, I was ecstatic. Seven hot, fabulous people would be galavanting DC, hanging out on the roof top at the W hotel and probably having amazing dinners at Komi. When I saw the mansion that was renovated for them off Dupont Circle, I was even more determined that I would befriend someone on this show, seeing as they're usually interesting people with big personalities. 
After going out as usual for the past two months since the show had begun taping and not seeing the cast anywhere, I was determined to see the Real World tonight and become BFFs with someone on it as soon as my friend Christina called me from Fly Lounge to alert me that the cameras were rolling there. Well, let's just say they were not what I expected. 
God forgive me, but I have never seen a season of Real World in which the cast members have looked so "real" before. Which is maybe a good thing, I guess, but this is TV! When I walked into the club, some average looking blonde that the cameras were attacking gave me a dirty look, which I immediately flashed back (and am now hoping that it will make the taping cut and I will get on television, but I doubt it). Later, her and some brunette on the show, who looked like they were sixteen, were fighting at the entrance and holding up the entire line so the camera crew could get a good shot. But my girlfriends and I could pull off a more entertaining fight scene then these girls could, and they were apparently casted to be on television. They were average looking, lacked personality, and one of the boys was wearing a Fedora because from the looks of it, looked like he forgot to shampoo his hair. I hate talking poorly about others and I'm sure the Real Worlders are all lovely people, but I feel like with the DC cast, the fantasy of the Real World has died a little bit. What happened to the Danny and Melissa's, the untouchable, drop-dead gorgeous couples who radiated energy? Instead we have Mr. Frumpy McGee in his Fedora. The Real World needs to STOP getting real and know there place.
......Actually, scratch everything I just wrote. I think I'm just jealous of all of them and wish that I could be on the Real World. ;)
xo
Angela

2 comments:

  1. i was there when you did that i think I have watched more flavor of love with you than I care to admit...

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete