3.28.2011

Loving LA-LA Land

Everyone hates on Los Angeles. But to be entirely honest with you, if it wasn't for my affinity for hoop earrings, Juicy jump suits, and my loved ones in the North East, I would totally move there in a heart beat. And having had to go there on business for the week last week only reaffirmed my love for the City of Angels. Now, don't get me wrong; It totally has its hood-esque parts like any city and the smog is not exactly my fav. But LA is truly a gem of old Hollywood flavor, chola culture, and a fabulosity to it that makes you feel rich even if you're just driving around in a Mazda 3 rental car. Here are a few must-do's if you'd like to paint LA leopard the next time you're there:
  • Shop on Melrose: The boutiques are trendy and super inexpensive. I'm not guarenteeing that you'll necessarily find the most quality pieces here, but scratch the Forever 21 fund and find some really unique pieces that won't put a dent in your checking account.
  • Get a tattoo on Hollywood Boulevard: It probably has more tattoo parlors than I've ever seen on a single square mile in my life. With some great tattoo artists (Kat Von Dee, anyone?) actually working in this area and some really reasonable prices, the tattoos here will go to show you that good tattoos actually can be cheap.
  • Enjoy the tasting menu at Jose Andres' Bazar in the SLS Hotel: No joke, it was probably one of the best dinners I have ever had in my entire life and had me trying some of the most eccentric finger foods I've ever had in my life. From caviar ice cream cones to crunchy toro wrapped in avocado, this place was totally worth the expensive check at the end (And, if you have the best sommelier in DC, Andrew Stover, there to select your wines, then you're in even better shape).
  • Go to the Santa Monica Pier: Want to see the Jersey Shore look somewhat classy and surrounded by palm trees? Check out the most adorable little beach carnival you've ever seen in your life and become a kid again.
  • Induldge in a red velvet pancake: It looks yucka on the outside, but The Gridle is LA's most famous breakfast spot, fully accompanied with delicious gourmet takes on traditional breakfast fare. Although I wasn't able to eat for the rest of the day after my red velvet pancake, it was well worth it.
  • Have cocktails at the Chateau Marmount: Famous for its celebrity sightings, you're bound to see someone here. Nestled in a historic hotel in West Hollywood, I was only there for an hour and got to see Eva Longoria (who was, FYI, adorable in person).
  • Ride bikes in Hermosa Beach: I.E. one of the only acceptable places to actually ride a bike. Please refer to other posts.
  • Go to the Sky store!: Probably the grand finale to my trip, I alotted myself a small allowance and the only store location of my favorite brand in the world. You will literally be in a sparkle bliss upon entering, so brace yourself for Robertson Boulevard's best boutique.
This list could have gone on all day, but those are just the highlights of LA's deliciousness. So next time someone hates on LA and says it's ghetto, think again- put on your Slightly Stoopid, Dr. Dre, Sublime, or whatever other Cali staples you have on your iPod, because there's a reason that they call is la-la land.

No comments:

Post a Comment