3.15.2011

Vale What? It's All About Sun Valley, Idaho

Three years ago, with one of my lovely girlfriends from college known as 'Bunches', I trecked out West for a snowboarding adventure in charming Sun Valley, Idaho for my Spring Break. Not knowing what to expect (my only reference to Idaho was Napoleon Dynamite quotes), I was mesmerized by the beautiful charm that Sun Valley encapsulates, with mountains in every direction, a gingerbread house-esque village, and probably the softest, most beautiful ski trails I've ever been on. This past week, for work, I've made my way back out West to 'the Valley' as locals call it (it makes me feel like Cher from Clueless saying that), and realized that this place truly blows Colorado skiing out of the woods. Let's be honest, people; mountain vacations are not for me. I hate Mother Nature, I don't like the cold, and don't like the clothes that people are required to wear for places like this (Sky tops and Pleasure Doing Business skirts are totally unacceptable out here). But Sun Valley has a fabulosity to it that makes me feel like a total celeb regardless of the fact that there isn't a palm tree in sight. Vying for a Sun Valley vaca? Here are your musts:

  • Stay at the Sun Valley Lodge or in one of the surrounding condos: There's no other way to do it. Since 1935, the Sun Valley Lodge has served old and new money in its quaint club house complete with a full service spa, outdoor heated pool, fine dining, and taxodermied moose heads on the wall so that you really feel like you're out West.
  • Eat at the Pioneer Saloon: Trust me, it's the best restaurant in town, but vegetarians, stay away! Enjoy some top-knotch meats and a delicious Idaho potato, served by waitresses in Western attire. This Sun Valley hot spot will be sure to have you a potato snob in no time.
  • Ski at Dollar Mountain: I'm sorry, I don't do the big mountain. The trails are too difficult, the lines are too long, and I'm not paying $65 for a half day so I can freeze. Plus, I get ADD after two hours of snowboarding, so the $32 lift ticket does the trick, and still gives me amazing views of the Snake River Mountains.
  • Drink at Whiskey's: I hate beer, whiskey, and anything of that caliber, but you're in Idaho, people! I don't want wine, I don't want fusion cuisine, and if you don't either, try this super authentic Western-style bar complete with a mechanical bull. Just please ride appropriately and don't make a fool of yourself.
  • Take a trip to the Hot Springs: Not too far away in Ketchum, there are actual Hotsprings in the middle of the mountains that you can actually enjoy. Great for the pores and muscles, this natural jacuzzi actually made me love Mother Nature for the twenty minutes that I indulged.
While they might not all appear to be leopard-esque activities, when you're in Sun Valley, you've got to rid yourself of your guido roots even if it's just for a few days. Bring your riding boots, knit sweater, and lots of winter attire, and enjoy one of the most beautiful and luxurious winter vacations of your life. And, if you're like me, be sure to travel in tyle with your leopard print suitcase.

No comments:

Post a Comment